Friday

mensa dogs

I joined a conversation on IQ at the bookstore today. There was a couple talking about IQ stuff I guess, all I heard was when they asked the guy at the table next to them if he knew who that "smart guy" was that was in a wheelchair. The guy said he knew who they meant...but couldn't think of his name. Of course I...sitting 3 tables away...had to tell them it was Stephen Hawking.

I do that a lot. I'll join in conversations and I don't know why, but people usually let me and keep talking to me. Seems like they'd say, "Were we talking to you?" or walk away or tell me to mind my own business. Now, I don't do it if it's something personal, but if they are discussing something not so personal, I just can't help it.

So, anyway, then they got to saying he was the smartest person in the world. And I said....well, smart is subjective, and they were saying IQ wise he was and the other guy said no, that woman in Parade magazine was...etc.

So then we got to talking about IQ itself. They had the view that high IQ people were very smart and had science jobs and so forth. And I said...I know you want to know what I said, 'cuz you don't even know those other people...

I said that IQ was like a bucket. IQ is how big your bucket is. The bigger the IQ, the bigger the bucket. It doesn't have a lot to do with what's IN the bucket. You can have a big ol' bucket that's got a whole bunch of nothing in it, or a little bit of very important stuff, or somewhere in the middle. Now, if you've got a 175 bucket, and it's full of baseball card statistics, and dialogue from British comedy shows on Public Television, it's not that impressive. If you've got a 95 bucket, and it's full of useful information, life skills, communication skills and Ambition...well, now you've got something. Or of course, a 150 bucket that's a quarter full vs. a 100 one that's pretty near running over it's so full...there again the 100 is way ahead. I have a rather large bucket, but there seems to be a hole in it. There's a hole in my bucket, dear Liza, dear Liza...do you remember that song?

I know quite a few people who belong to mensa, an organization based on high IQ. I know 2 doctors, 2 therapists, teachers, waitresses, a lot of minimum wage earners, and a whole lot of chronically unemployed people. I was afraid when I visited a mensa meeting that people there would be using big words that I didn't know, and talking about politics, science, and the stock market. The two main topics were recipes for home made ice cream, and their dogs. They were like real people. Go figure.

4 comments:

  1. Funny, I\'m the same way.  I\'ll talk to a tree if it seems interesting.  And it will talk back as well.  I\'m never afraid that I\'m not smart enough.  We all have our strengths that compliment the rest of the masses weaknesses, and vice versa.  I am rarely intimidated by others, whether it be their intellect, their appearance, or their wealth.  They\'re peeps just like me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah ... I was thinking I had a decent sized bucket but has become more like a seize cuz as I\'m putting it in there it just seems to keep running back out.  Some of it kinda sticks to the sides or sloshes around and gets all mixed up.  I will barge in on conversations too.   It really is hard not to when you know the thing and they don\'t.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting. I don\'t know how big my bucket is nor how much is my bucket and I seem to be doing ok. Yes I remember that song and I thought it was liza (pronounced lie za) not lisa...oh well I guess I\'m been singng the wrong thing for a long time (smile).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,Thanks for the friend invitation.  I gladly accept.  I\'m not sure exacty certain why I think this, but I believe you\'ll be poking holes in my bucket before long.  You\'ll get to know me in about two posts, and if not, I\'m sure Cindy will tell you where I\'m ticklish.Peace, Doc

    ReplyDelete