Thursday

Birdhouses, painting and Chili's

Got to paint today. A little money and a clear head. I don't know which I needed more. I used to build birdhouses, and I think I'm going to start doing that again. I used to make colorful, tropical, beach bird houses, and people liked those in Florida, not sure if they will sell here. I mostly want to go into building 'real' bird houses. Do it the right way, with the bird's interests at heart, not gee this'll look cute in the back yard. I want to do both, actually. There's a farmer's market here that starts in May. I'd have time to get several built before market time. It's not enough for a full-time income, but it will help, and it's only on Saturday mornings. Then I could do a web site for them...hmmm.

It would combine my love of making things, painting, playing, nature, birds, and the important thing....I'd get to use power tools and paint every day. Yup, my kind of job. Construction work and cooking in restaurants are two of the things I can't physically do right now. I like restaurant work, but know I couldn't lift 40-80 pounds on a several times a day basis. Ditto waitress work. I've done every job in restaurants, servers usually make the most, sometimes more than the managers, and usually more than cooks. But it's too heavy too. And, I don't like it near as much as back of the house - kitchen. Of course, I washed more dishes in management than I did anywhere else. The kitchens, first thing  in the morning....lighting pilot lights, ovens up and running, coffee on. Good smells and the radio on. I love early morning kitchens. One of my favorite places to cook was Chili's. I cooked in 2 different ones. Both were spotlessly clean and used the freshest ingredients. I still love going to Chili's. It's my favorite overall restaurant, and I've lost count of how many I've been in, in many states. I was in the original one in Dallas years ago. Well, I'll be talking about chili cook-offs and Terlingua if I don't stop. Oh, I know what's going on, I'm Hungry! lol.  I'm going to go make...umm....nope not chili. But I do make incredible chili. I came home from work to eat lunch today, and I made myself a little steak and a package of spring vegetables, with asparagus and squash in them. I have half of the lunch left, be back later. I guess I might as well get the paint off my hands too. It's distracting me when I look at the keyboard. But we've been there before. lol.  Jan 

Here's a link to our Farmer's Market:

http://www.tricitiesfarm.org/photo_album.htm

 

4 comments:

  1. painting and power tools?  Do you need an apprentice? :D
     
    Chili\'s boneless buffalo wings ROCK!
     
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Painting is one of my favorite things to do to! and I find every excuse in the book to use power tools!!! :)
    I hope your weekend is a fun filled adventure!!
     
    Toodles,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jan, I love it when you get so excited talking about the way you create. You are super-duper! Do the birdhouses; I\'ll even give you an idea I had about those and/or mailboxes some yrs ago.  Make them to look exactly like the human-house they\'ll be adorning. Make a couple as tests and take pics. Then use those pics to show to take orders from others -- good idea?  How could someone turn down a 1-of-a-kind birdhouse (or mailbox).  Darn, wish I\'d followed thru on that.
    Anyway, so sorry we keep missing each other on messenger lately and yes, Angie\'s surgery is happening as we speak. Please tell Pat that I\'m thinking of her, too.  Wow, both of them on the same day!  I\'ll catch up with you as soon as I can.   xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Jan,I don\'t have many of my woodworking or metalworking tools anymore, but used to love to build "stuff."  Googling the simple search phrase free birdhouse plans will give you excellent results if you don\'t already know exactly what kinds of birds you want to attract or want lots of ideas to look over.  Good luck.  I think I\'m sticking with computers and model building now that I have to be quiet.Peace, Doc

    ReplyDelete