Friday

JOBS


I don't know what to do concerning job hunting. I don't know what I should do. I've done so many things, but most were what I had to do at the time, not anything I'd purposely choose. The only time I knew who I was and what I wanted, was during the years raising my kids. For over 17 of those years, I had a home daycare. I took care of between 3-8 kids, in addition to my own three. I loved it. I made more money that I would have in most other jobs I could do, but mostly, I had to work and it allowed me to be at home raising my own kids. I felt great about taking care of other mom's kids too. I made sure the parents were as comfortable in my home as their kids were. In so many ways it was the perfect job for me. My attention span and energy level is the same as a toddler's so that was an extra bonus! I love love love babies.


Then my life changed, my kids grew up, I went to school and got a B.A. I did social work: domestic violence, abused kids, shelters. I've worked in networking, programming, repairs and tech support for several computer companies, done construction work (skills leftover from early years), worked in retail, restaurants, landscaping, etc. I don't like working in day cares, no money, and I don't like the way they run things.


So, I have no idea what to do now. I've postponed getting anything full-time, I was in an accident a few months ago and have had to let my body heal, but I'm doing well and need to get back out there. Thought maybe if I wrote about it, I'd start figuring things out, but nope, nothing.      Jan 

5 comments:

  1. Could you set up and run your own day care? Set your own limits, number of kids. Sounds like you\'re qualified.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with sycamor! It would be a more pleasing job if you could make the rules yourself. You\'ve done a lot of different things over the years though so I bet you would be great at anything. (ever thought of being a lunch lady hehe)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Jan :D     I see you\'re in a quandry. I was thinking about the day care idea, too, but you\'d need to check into what the local/state laws are there.  Worth checking into though IF you love it enough to do it again. Tough running after little ones when some years go by and your "post accident" body might yell, NO.  But I also saw that you\'d been in social work and had a BA -- seems to me that that would be ideal, and here\'s why: First, you\'d be working for the State and not only are they shorthanded, but retirement benefits can\'t be beat, PLUS medical, etc.  Just a thought, but I bet you\'d be terrific and listen, even by your writing I can tell if you went to interview with the State, you\'d be a shew-in, babe.  Go for it.  If your bod still needs a little more time to heal, take the time first...social work will always be there and always need more good employees.  It\'s your ace in the hole.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just a note to your note on my space, lol.....I\'m going to remember that about the baking powder for sure! Thanks for the info....as we speak, I\'ve started over on the new bread (crossing fingers this time). I wanted to tell you that to browse through Vicki\'s paintings, go over to her husband\'s space (Cranmoor) and then to his photo album called Vicki\'s Paintings. That album is near the end of his album list.  Lots more of her paintings are on his space rather than her\'s.
    Jan, I\'ve been meaning to ask you, who\'s the child in your profile pic? That\'s the most adorable child EVER, and the colors are sooo good, just like your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just a note to your note on my space, lol.....I\'m going to remember that about the baking powder for sure! Thanks for the info....as we speak, I\'ve started over on the new bread (crossing fingers this time). I wanted to tell you that to browse through Vicki\'s paintings, go over to her husband\'s space (Cranmoor) and then to his photo album called Vicki\'s Paintings. That album is near the end of his album list.  Lots more of her paintings are on his space rather than her\'s.
    Jan, I\'ve been meaning to ask you, who\'s the child in your profile pic? That\'s the most adorable child EVER, and the colors are sooo good, just like your photos.

    ReplyDelete