Wednesday

light

 

I've read that sleeping in total darkness is good for you. It's never dark in my room. I've got so many little blue, red and green leds, you'd think it was a space ship. Or a Circuit City.

I like it, it makes me feel high tech, and like I, I don't know, have stuff. lol. A lot of the leds are on the same things and on very inexpensive things, but I like them anyway. And if I unplugged everything - please don't bombard me with eco-carbon-footprint stuff, (there's an Eastman Chemical Company on the other side of town), there'd still be a lot of light, because I have white blinds and thin white curtains, and there's a big ol' street light down the block.

I don't like it when some of these leds are attached to things that beep though. It took me forever to figure out that the reason my computer often sneezes, is that when one of my 'buddies' signs on to AOL, there's a sneeze wav that plays. I didn't know what was making my computer sneeze, until I started opening my buddy list and I looked up all the wavs and stuff. Actually, there's not a sneeze one, but I'm assuming, or just making it up...that at one time there was, and she got the wav then. Hey, when I "figured?" that out, it stopped driving me nuts anyway. And there are wavs like coughing and doorbells and dogs barking.

Once a few years ago, there was a very faint beeping in my house. Listening, repeatedly muting the TV, and sneaking around, eventually led me to the garage. In the garage, I tracked the noise down to a big, dust-covered box that had been packed away for a couple of years. I pulled it down off the shelf, and slowly and carefully opened it. (I grew up watching all those police shows where there was usually a beeping time-bomb involved.) And we don't want to talk about how umm...rich... my imagination is. So, I open the box, and start removing the contents, as the beeping is getting louder. A bunch of clothes hangers and empty baby food jars later,  I see an old smoke alarm. It was beeping to let me know the battery was low and needed replacing. So, of course, I went to Wal-Mart and got a 9-volt battery for it, came back and replaced the battery, put it in the box, piled the hangers and all but one of the baby food jars on top, taped it up, and put it back up on the shelf.

5 comments:

  1. OMG, you are so sweet to replace its battery.  You know, I would have done the exact same thing.LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. That\'s hilarious!  OMG, that\'s one of the funniest things I\'ve ever heard!!  Why do we do such silly things?  There\'s no answer to this - I do it, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Somehow, that makes perfect sense to me.  Well, if not perfect, at least I can undersand the feelings involved.Peace, Doc

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had to laugh about the whole thing because I could see myself doing the same thing, yet I probably would have searched for months and never found the darn thing.  Nice space you have here by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well that sure solved the problem with the smoke detector. Now I wonder will you remember it when it happens again 3 years from now? I\'ve slept in places (WV being one) where it is so dark at night you can hardly see with a flashlight. On your earlier blog about the quiet nights...yes they aren\'t that quiet in the country. Night bugs, crickets, frogs and who knows what else lurks out there make a lot of noise. I\'ve experienced the cow in the window thing and I don\'t have an answer either. Hey I\'m in America for the weekend, why don\'t you stop over. Probably only about 1,500 miles or so from where you are. Have a good one.

    ReplyDelete