Sunday

Musical Chairs

 

My characters are playing musical chairs.

I'm working in the yard and every one of them are busy, doing mundane things, doing wild unbelievable things, with lots of physical activity...going here and there, causing all kinds of commotion, or at least shopping for groceries.

And I come in to write and everyone sits down and is still.

No activity, the same look on everyone's face, I'm the only one without a chair.

I'm painting a house across town, running from bees and watching bugs stick in the wet paint. I think of what Junior's doing, and worry that Sharon's gone over to her ex's, never a good thing, etc.

I get home, take a quick shower ignoring the remaining paint speckled on my hands and hair, and sit down to catch up with what's going on. Everything, everybody stops and sits down. Musical chairs.

No one's doing anything. junior, what were you doing in Norton today? "Aw, nothin'." So Sharon, I heard you were over at your ex's. Sharon nods her head, looking bored, picking at something on her jeans. Nothin', I got nothin'.

I sometimes write stories about a bunch of characters I made up, but the above happens most of the time I try to write.  Jan

3 comments:

  1. Ha!! We used to do that to my mama and she\'d say, "Whatsa matter? You scared I\'m gonna fart and you\'re not gonna get to smell any of it?" THAT usually made us gross out and leave her alone - for a few minutes anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand completely.
    Life throws these little quirks at you often it seems.
    Musical chairs= great analogy!
     
    Hope things calm down for you in your neck of the woods darling!

    ReplyDelete